Addiction recovery is very difficult and inherently uncomfortable. There is simply no way to get around that fact. However, there are ways to make it a little bit better. One of the ways in which to make recovery a less uncomfortable process is to choose your environment. You could potentially have hundreds of options for which addiction treatment center you wish to choose, and it is very difficult to pick one. However, if you are looking for the best of the best, and a place you can truly feel calm at–in order to speed along your recovery–you may be considering a luxury addiction treatment center.
Luxury addiction treatment centers are like any other addiction treatment center. They will take you in, they offer therapy, individual medical attention, and all the other things one usually associates with detoxifying your system from alcohol or drugs. However, there is one big difference: luxury addiction treatment centers are built to be comfortable. Many pictures of luxury addiction treatment centers could easily be interchangeable with pictures of five-star hotels around the world. Here are six ways to find the right luxury addiction treatment center for you:
- Check out the location. Where is it? Is it in a place that will make it too difficult to focus on kicking your addiction? Is the weather too hot, too cold, too rainy to make focus possible?
- Can your friends and family visit you? Sometimes you need a support group of your closest friends and family members, and sometimes you need to completely cut yourself off from them. Look at your luxury addiction recovery treatment center to see their policy on visitors, and if it lines up with how you would like your life to be going right now.
- Does this facility line up with your beliefs? Many treatment centers use the 12-step program philosophy, which merits a belief in a higher power. However, if you have no belief in a higher power, you may want to look for a facility that offers alternative methods, such as the SMART recovery program. (The SMART recovery program is a four-point program being used in many cases as an alternative to the 12-step program, which requires some sort of belief in a power higher than yourself.)
- What kind of treatments do they use? There are a million different ways to treat addiction and facilitate recovery, and not all of them are equal. Look into the luxury center you’re looking at to see how they treat people with addictions. Is it more aimed at therapy? Medication? Or something else? You will want to be prepared for whatever treatment plans they use.
- Read what others have said. The best way to tell if a place is good is to see what other patients have had to say about it. Do most of the former patients complain that they have relapsed soon after leaving or do the majority claim lasting success? This isn’t a concrete way to tell, of course–there are too many other competing factors for this to be perfect–but it will give you an idea of how effective this center is.
- Finally, and possibly most importantly, are you willing to do the work? No matter how perfect the center you choose is, no place is magical. There is no magic wand anyone will wave to fix your addiction. It will be work, and it will be hard, but it will be worth it. And before you check yourself in anywhere, you need to know how much you want recovery.
Recovery is not easy, nor is it simple–but luxury treatment centers can make it bearable. So, if you’re looking at checking yourself into one, just remember the previous six tips, and hey–good luck. Believe in yourself.